About theatre Gardzienice
The Gardzienice Centre for Theatre Practices
is a auctorial culture institution.
Founded in 1977 by Włodzimierz Staniewski, it became known in the world thanks to performances and rigorous theatrical practices (see Alison Hodge, Twentieth Century Actor Training, Routledge edition). Theater “Gardzienice”; performances, shows and theater didactics are the basis of the statutory activity of the Center. But there’s much more to it, including:
- Gardzienice Gallery,
- Academy for Theatre Practices,
- workshop sessions for schools,
- universities and artists from all around the world,
- the “Generator Nadziei” – a program enabling young emerging theater artists production of new performances (in the years 2015-18, there were 10 premieres),
- artistic and scientific research (theater, music, movement, drama, interdisciplinary humanities),
- artistic and scientific conferences in cooperation with Polish and world academic centers,
- Archive. Over the past 40 years, several hundred artists from Poland and the world have worked here.
In September 2013, the new theater complex in Gardzienice was opened. The architectural palace and park complex has now been lifted from ruins and miraculously resuscitated. A subsidy from EU funds in the amount of PLN 16 million was obtained for the reconstruction project.